A little something about a boy and a girl, their dogs, their adventures, a few flowers...and a wee bit of running.







Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Panama - Part 4 - Beach Lizard

       I grew up along an amazing river, the Chetco, with a gravel bar on one side and a sand bar on the other.
 Many a rock or sand castle was built there housing vast amounts of waterdogs and frogs.
 Mostly I remember rolling in the sand until every inch of skin was covered, baking in the sun for awhile...
and then racing to the water for a rinse

 And then starting all over again.
 I'd be picking sand out of my ears all night.
 And all evening I'd be thinking about how much bigger I could make a rock or sand castle
Or how far I could really fling a waterdog by its tail.
Watch out all you Chetco waterdogs - there is surely a new waterdog flinger in the family.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome series! Love it and the story that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, first I must ask what a water dog is. Second I must point out that I am pleased to see that your son has picked up on the importance of these finer things in life at such a young age. I can see already he is destined to be a well-adjusted young man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waterdogs or the rough-skinned newt, are cute critters living in lots of Oregon rivers. They are fun to dive for in deep swimming holes or catch along shallow bars. They don't respond well to castle life though and are always climbing out of their moats to head back to the river.

    ReplyDelete