A little something about a boy and a girl, their dogs, their adventures, a few flowers...and a wee bit of running.







Friday, September 2, 2011

Über Sus


After perusing the many racks at REI for a fun birthday gift for Sus, I gave up when I couldn't find anything interesting for less than $95. Sorry Sus. Hmmm, where else could I look...the running store? No, she just ordered herself a new pair of running shoes and they were likely in the $95 range anyhow. Where else does she "like" to shop? Salvation Army? Value World? Somehow, it doesn't feel right getting your friend a gift card to the thrift store. Well, one store is as far as I got because I "like" to shop just as enthusiastically as she does. So, in  very Sus-esque fashion, she's getting a blog post present until I can come up with something better. Sorry, again.

I'm sure you've had people tell you in your life that you look just like so and so or that you have a twin out in some such place. This happens all the time, right? But do you have people telling you that every week? Or, sometimes daily? And, is the comparison with a person you spend an immeasurable amount of time with? This is not a complaint by the way. My apparent doppelgänger is Sus and if you were getting compared to Sus, you wouldn't complain either. I soak it up actually. It is, very curious though. Here are a few of the more common comments and situations:

"Are you twins or just sisters?" "What?! Neither? That can't be right."

"Ok, now which one are you?"

Sometimes when we are standing side by side, someone that I know, but Sus doesn't, will have a conversation with her only to pause half way through, stare at us, and get really confused.

I am often outside of Sus and Alex's house, packing up Rowan's bike trailer and gear, so I have conversations with their neighbors when they walk by. ALL of whom assume I'm Sus. If it's a short conversation about the weather or dogs, I just go with it and tell Sus what she discussed with her neighbor. If they seem to want to have a more detailed conversation I have to break it to them that I'm a complete stranger they're talking to. And because I don't want to be rude and interrupt, it's sometimes far into the conversation before I can tell them. At that point, they always seem horrified over the mistake.

It is not uncommon to hear, "Go sisters!" whenever we race. Or..like in our last marathon, Sus had her own personal fan that cheered her on at several spots along the course. At the end of the race, the fan came over to her and said "Great job Heather!" I never actually saw this fan during the race.

I can almost understand the confusion when we're together, but it doesn't always happen that way. Take the guy in the specialty beer section at the store. The first time I ever saw him he asked me how my husband liked the such and such double IPA. And he wanted to know how our beer tasting event went the night before. Then he squinted his eyes and said, "Alex, yeah that's his name, right?"

Or...there was the time at a half marathon when a lady came up to me and said, "Oh hi! You were the one who helped me on the bus!" I had no idea what she was talking about until later when I remembered Sus was volunteering with bus loading.

And this list could go on.....

Sure, I can see it. There are definitely some similarities. I have freckles. She has freckles. I smile a lot. She smiles a lot.  I have a 2 year old. She's got one too. She likes sugary things. I like sugary things. We both have dogs, a couple of which look rather alike.

Charlie or Allie?
Allie or Charlie?

We both run tons and at a similar pace and we usually finish our races within seconds of each other. We also both seem to be drawn to similar activities...camping, hiking, sugar, etc. And yes, sugar is an activity. However, I think I'm going to focus on our differences though, because honestly, they are vast. I'll just list a few. First, a physical difference. 

Sus has biceps
She's the one you go to if you need someone to open that jar...or build your deck


  I have monkey arms
I could probably get your cat out of a tree...or throw poo on you.


Sus is drawn to large tools and building equipment.
She recently left a party carrying away an axe and a sledge hammer. Yeah, I recommend you watch your tool shed when she's around.

I will never take any of your large equipment. You probably only have to lock up your bags of Hershey's Kisses if I'm at your party. Well, maybe the rice crispy treats too.

Sus is an organizer. Not too long ago we 'borrowed' Sus and Alex's house to watch the Kentucky Derby while they were out of town. On the counter was the most amazing detailed list of everything they needed to pack for a weekend trip, including the exact number of socks Abby needed as well as the number of short sleeved versus long sleeved shirts. I was impressed. So impressed that I never mentioned the list to her. Now seems like an appropriate time. 

I am not an organizer. I tend to throw things in a bag at the last minute and then swear later at what's missing. Like my passport. And then I count on Sus (and Rachel) to bail me out at the last possible moment.

Sus is on the brink of getting her PhD. She studies theoretical biology and community evolution and ecology. She would likely help you with whatever computer program you're working on, analyze some data for you and then make a graph.

I am not. Do not ever ask me to make you a graph. I will pull out the crayons. I just hope she'll still help me reconfigure my fancy running watch after she gets that PhD.

Okay, so you get the point...a few differences I'd say.

Now you may have an image of her as just a tough, smart sledge-hammer yielding individual. But what puts the über in Über Sus is the fact that she can come inside after building your deck and bake you a fantastic batch of snickerdoodles, knit you a hat and then sew you an entire outfit....all while that 2 year old is napping.

I read an article in a really silly women's magazine recently (which mysteriously keeps showing up in the mailbox). The article was something about the perfect husband. It listed 3 things for a perfect husband. They were: 1. Must look good without a shirt 2. Must be able to make coffee 3. Must be able to build a deck.
My first thought was - Wow, Sus is the perfect husband. How about that? I know the last two are true and I'd guess that the first is. 

You may have gotten the impression that I like this girl. It's true. And I'm not alone. Lots of people do. I have moments of anxiety when I think about the day when her family and my family move in different directions. For now, I'm just going to soak up my time with her and hope a little of that über-ness rubs off on me. 
Happy Birthday Sus!

4 comments:

  1. This is the best birthday present ever...although I don't really see biceps in that picture : ) And I can't wait until the day that I need to throw poo on someone. I'm calling you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I didn't seem to have a good representative photo of your biceps. Your left one is bulging a little there. I know you've got more : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an uber-cool birthday tribute. I like it way better than a thrift-store top, and I'm willing to guess that Sus will too. I'm glad Sus has a twin like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I'm happy to know that pretty-awesome lady (and her twin too).

    ReplyDelete